Pennsylvania Townhalls

Ask them anything!
19:22 Brian: Thank you Robin, thank you to the Pennsylvania Health Access Network for hosting this very important town hall meeting tonight. So, my name is Brian, and my story as it happened started just two years ago, in 2015. For the first time in nine years I had access to health insurance. And that's because Governor Tom Wolf did the right thing. (applause) In an executive order, Governor Wolf accepted extended Medicaid funding under the Affordable Care Act.

I became eligible for health insurance. Now, fast forward this to January 2016, because extended Medicaid under the ACA saved my life (applause). In January of 2016 I was diagnosed with stage 3 bone cancer. So what did that entail? Well, that entailed surgery to remove the tumor, six months of chemotherapy, a colonoscopy, and then eventually another CAT scan in November of 2016 that showed that as of right now I have no evidence of cancer. (applause ) Thank you, but credit goes to my doctors and my nurses, actually.

So as of right now my cancer care has cost probably over $100,000. And that's something that I can't afford to pay for out of pocket. I work a retail job. I make $11.60 an hour. There is no way I can afford to pay for my cancer care. And I'm not out of the woods yet, 'cause once you're diagnosed with cancer, you're going under surveillance for five years.

So the next five years, what does that mean? It means more doctor visits for me, more colonoscopies, more CAT scans and of course more blood tests. So I'm not quite sure what the final price tag my cancer care will cost. But I know one thing, I can't pay for it out of pocket. If I try, I go into medical bankruptcy.

So I wish Senator Toomey was here tonight, because I do have a question for him. But unfortunately, he's too much of a coward to appear. (applause) So my question will go to the esteemed panel here. Now, as I mentioned, I'm under surveillance for the next five years, for cancer care. I have Medicaid under the ACA. So what happens if that is withdrawn, what happens if Medicaid extension is cut, or it's gone and the ACA is repealed. What happens to a person like myself?

This from a transcription of the 2/21/2017 Allentown constituent town hall held by Pennsylvania voters. The Senator was invited but did not attend. The text has been lightly edited for clarity. Please e-mail pa.votervoices@gmail.com with any corrections.

The video can be viewed here.

Topic SearchWords: AskedToomey, 2017, AffordableCareAct, MedicaidExtension, ACARepeal
District Keywords: Pennsylvania Representative to United States Senate Class 1, PatToomey

To contact Senator Toomey:
Office website: http://toomey.senate.gov
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/senatortoomey
Twitter: @SenToomey